Saturday, September 3, 2011

ADLUSTABLEAPEED

Best Chinglish encounter so far: there is a dial on my wall that says ADLUSTABLEAPEED. Below that it says ON/OFF. I was so baffled by this that I stared at it for twenty minutes, terrified if I tried it something involving “adlust” and/or “apeed” would abruptly shoot out from somewhere. I was incredibly proud of myself when I figured out it is the button to my fan, and was meant to read Adjustable Speed.

As an aside, my shower head is broken. This is in a way a relief; I thought I just couldn’t figure it out so fiddled with everything in my apartment for a few hours. For the foreseeable future I will be showering with the help of a bucket and a faucet next to the toilet that stands about a foot and a half off the ground. I am not sure the original intended use of this faucet, but I would guess somewhere along the lines of a bidet in Europe. Oh the things I do for you, China.

For all one of you wondering (Hi Mom!), the cockroach has been captured and disposed of. I pray he doesn’t have family somewhere on the sixth floor calling in reinforcements to avenge his death and try the weird food the waiguoren (foreigner) has in her refrigerator…

No comments:

Post a Comment