Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Best and Worst of China (so far)

Worst

1. The Bugs. This may just be in my apartment, but I kill at least seven a day; ranging from infinitesimal to the cockamouse from HIMYM.

2. The Bed. Chinese beds are really hard. I currently sleep on top of five quilts, sort of like The Princess and The Pea, but still feel like I’m napping on a two-by-four.

3. The Dirtiness. China is not going to win a Most Hygienic award. I have seen men spitting and blowing their noses right in front of me, ladies emptying their trash bins into the gutter, and toddlers publicly pulling down their pants and squatting wherever they happen to be. People smoke everywhere, including cars and hospitals. Don't even get me started on public toilets.

Best

1. The Food. Hot pot, sweet and sour pork, bao zi. Just typing the words makes me hungry. (Although I would do just about anything for a pizza right now.)

2. The Prices. Self-explanatory, see past posts. But just to rub it in, I splurged on an extra large lunch today and bought a Chinese sausage, some kind of egg sandwich, a large Coke, a bottle of water, and a Chinese pastry for $1.60.

3. The People. Everyone here in Hechuan has been wonderfully accommodating, especially considering my lack of language skills. I have never been asked for my number so many times (in non-creepy ways). Everyone smiles and seems happy to see me, and the staff here has gone out of their way to make sure I'm comfortable. My students are willing to do just about anything to help me out. The friendliness has even made up for all of the staring.

No comments:

Post a Comment