Sunday, September 4, 2011

Classes cancelled

I have learned that I am in charge of all of the freshmen and half of the sophomore English majors. Since all freshmen have military training for the first few weeks, I do not have to start those classes until October. I have three sophomore sections with 10, 15, and 20 students respectively, relatively small by Chinese standards. I am relieved by this because at orientation we had been told to expect 30-40 students. I have been given a book to base my curriculum off of that looks to be surprisingly useful. I only have to use the themes of each chapter, and can pick and choose between book activities and my own. The only downside is the text was written in Britain, so for certain things I will have to clarify what the real English term is.

Now, however, classes keep getting cancelled because of the heat. None of the classrooms have air-conditioning, so on top of being postponed all last week, classes have again been cancelled Monday with a forecast of 101 degrees. I am supposed to have classes Tuesday and Thursday, but we'll see what happens because the forecast doesn't have the temperature dropping below 95 until Friday. 

So it looks like a few more days to wander around, drink lemonade, and eat Chinese street pancakes. As you can probably tell by the frequency of postings on this blog, I'm ready to have something productive to do with my time. At least I'm getting all my law school applications filled out way in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment