Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chinese bureaucracy

Bureaucracy is driving me a little insane lately, so I need to complain a bit to get it off my shoulders.

First off, even though the fourth week of school starts tomorrow, I still have not met with one of my sophomore classes. The first class was cancelled because of heat, the second class was cancelled because of a holiday, and the third class I was told was on Thursday afternoon and then it was rescheduled to Wednesday afternoon without anyone telling me. (Even the other foreign teacher knew, how was I not told?) So it is hard to get into a routine because my schedule is so uncertain, and it is going to change again once my freshmen arrive. Of course, no one has been able to tell me when those classes start, how many classes I will have, or which days of the week I will be teaching.

Secondly, I am trying to plan a trip to Chengdu, but my school took my passport the day after I got here and they still have it while trying to obtain my residency card. Once again, no one seems to be able to tell me whether I will have it back by the time National Day rolls around in two weeks. Since this is one of the biggest Chinese holidays, I’m hoping that hostels and trains don’t get sold out while I wait to make sure I can go.

Finally, a package was supposed to arrive last week with my camera cord, but when I went to the English department to inquire about it they looked at me like I was crazy. I know this is not their fault and is probably just a result of slow incoming mail, but I want to upload pictures!

Okay, rant over. Hopefully these things will get themselves sorted out this week!

1 comment:

  1. You're passport/residence permit should be back before the break because I think you have to get it within a month of getting to China, so the 25th of September or something.
    Also, I definitely stole your crazy photograph idea from a couple of posts ago. Such a great way to get them talking a use up 20 minutes of my class!
    Some of us are thinking of going to Chengdu for the break too, but flights are sooo expensive from way over here and the train is 25 hours :(

    ReplyDelete