Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lost in Translation (Pt. 1)

This starts a series that I will be posting about quite often. It will include conversations, correspondences, Chinglish phrases, and anything else I encounter on a daily basis that doesn't quite translate correctly and/or leaves me entirely confused. So without further ado, LiT Pt. 1.

An email I got from a student:

hi lindsay, evan is calling up? hows everyting? just let u know i got
ur email connected officially, haha, so feel free to ask me questions
about China, or watever u wanna know, including words to abuse~!
cheers~ evan che


I don't have any students named Evan! And what does he/she mean by "including words to abuse"? Is he/she offering to teach me Chinese swear words? Because as fun as that would be, I think learning more words for food would be more helpful at this point.

P.S. Post coming soon on The Great Flood of Hechuan but I'm waiting a day or two to see if my camera connector gets here so I can finally post pictures. I'm hoping it is not sitting waterlogged in the back of an underwater mail truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment